Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Illusion (05.11.10)



Top photo by me. Bottom photo by Diana Renoir.

As you all know by now, I love doing shows at places I've never played before. I get to meet new people, turn more folks on to my music, and give my regular fans some new scenery. Today's show at Illusion was a great example of why shows at new venues are terrific.

We started with a tiny crowd. In fact, I don't think you can call three people a "crowd", actually, heh heh. But I've learned something: never, ever panic about a small audience. The worst thing that happens is that you feel badly for the venue, but as a professional musician, you should be able to pull together a fun show for three people as well (if not better) than for 300 people, or 3,000 people. And sure enough, as tends to happen, folks arrived in dribs and drabs until we had a really respectable-sized crowd there toward the halfway point. I was definitely raring to play; my show in SL was on April 25, and I hadn't played for a crowd at all since May 1 (my last Zak Claxton Happy Fun Show).

New venues present one other challenge: not knowing exactly what type of music will be expected or appreciated. Since this show was booked for me by an outside manager, I'd never even been able to hang out there previous to playing. However, this became a non-issue from the very start, as it was obvious that the stuff I was doing -- both originals and covers -- was being enjoyed by everyone.

The set list at Illusion...
Pigs on the Wing Part 1 (Pink Floyd)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
Tea in the Sahara (The Police)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Soul Kitchen (The Doors)

Giant thanks to everyone who supported my show and helped make today at Illusion fun!
Rusty Fastback, Grace Miliandrovic, jsmn Yao, Diana Renoir, Per Negulesco, bluu Jatho, my terrific manager Sandy Demina, and Illusion owner giger Moonites!

No comments: