Friday, September 23, 2011

The Majestic (09.22.11)

Due to some recent remodeling work they were doing, it had been a little while since I'd last played The Majestic on August 25, so I was looking forward to getting back there. In case you're unfamiliar with the backstory, The Majestic is a venue that's been around in SL about as long as I have; going on five years. Under its previous owner, I performed there on a pretty regular basis (as well as other places around the San Diego City sim). When it was sold to Solace Beach Estates, a good year or so went by before one day, my manager Maali Beck asked if I'd be interested in doing a regular bi-weekly show there. I was, and started playing there every other Thursday evening in June.

Weeknights at 6PM is a tough time for a musician to play in SL; I have seen upwards of 50-60 live music events happening simultaneously at that time slot. Still, I can almost always count on my crowd of Zaksters to come out for shows, and despite the fact that my show was inadvertently left off the SL event schedule, we had a decent sized audience there (90% of which being my zany fans).

It's not often that I leave the stage to get in the face of one of my fans, but trust me, Triana deserved it! Photos by Kat.

I'd say it was a fairly typical show in terms of material, though I did bust out one surprise cover. I joke occasionally about performing songs that were "written" by Kermit the Frog, but Joe Raposo, the guy who did the music for Sesame Street, was a terrific songwriter, and it was cool doing one of his tunes last night. Also, to acknowledge the recent breakup of R.E.M., I did one of their classic tunes as well.

The Majestic Set List...
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Radio Free Europe (R.E.M.)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Sour Girl (Stone Temple Pilots)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Wonderwall (Oasis)
*Bein' Green (Kermit the Frog)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Tea in the Sahara (Police)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Pulling Mussels from a Shell (Squeeze)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL

Big thanks to my fans, the Zaksters, and everyone else who helped support my show!
GMetal Svartur, Triana Caldera, Diana Renoir, TheaDee, sonzia Shim, Xerxes Ninetails, Alexis Fairlady, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and Majestic hostess Tialicia Muircastle!

No comments: