Monday, January 7, 2013

Molaskey's Pub (01.03.13)


After Wednesday's surprise rezday party for Christina Haiku, my first "real" Zak Show of 2013 happened the following night at Molaskey's Pub. I've written many, many, many times about Molaskey's over the years I've been performing there. One of the best live music venues in SL? You betcha. But making matters even better than usual on that night was the fact that I was in a lineup of performers who count among my best pals in the SL music community. It was a "Maali's Kids" show, meaning that Sassy Nitely, Lyndon Heart, and I were all playing back-to-back.

Perhaps it was some of the leftover good vibes from the new year's festivities, or maybe everyone was relieved that the holidays were over and life was returning to normalcy, but it seemed to be particularly fun that night at Molaskey's. It started with Sassy, and I made sure to arrive plenty early to hear her play. She was sounding great. I took the stage at the 6PM slot, and while I'm generally a harsh critic of my on performances, I think it was a good solid show for me. Lyndon got on at 7PM, and was sounding particularly excellent.

Rocking Molaskey's ice rink stage. At the start of my set, I told a true story about the first time I performed on that stage, and TP'ed to the usual beach stage, and then wondered why absolutely no one was there at my show. TOP PHOTO: Sassy wraps up here set while I stand behind her, and Lyndon stands behind me. We got each other's backs. Photos by Triana Caldera.

I play while people try not to fall down on the virtual ice. Photo by Cicadetta Stillwater.

I hang out with Sassy after our respective shows while Lyndon entertains the house in his inimitable way.

The only bummer of the night? Maali herself, who truly seems to love hearing her roster of artists play, was still in the midst of that horrible flu that seems to have attacked far too many of my pals. She couldn't even manage to stay for the end of Sassy's set, and I felt terrible for her. So, here's hoping the Maalster is very much healthier in upcoming times.

Speaking of what's coming next, as far as my shows are concerned, I have no answer at all! Every year in January, as I've pointed out several times in the past, I have a huge event in my real life business called the NAMM Show. It really takes precedence over everything else around it, so I block off a two-week area that's an unwanted but necessary hiatus from my own musical performances. Currently (though this may change), I don't have any shows scheduled before the start of my self-imposed exile, so for all I know, my next SL show could be in February! We'll see. In any case, my last show was a great one, and I can't ask for more than that.

Molaskey's Set List...
Carey (Joni Mitchell)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
On The Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Allentown (Billy Joel)
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Everyday I Write the Book (Elvis Costello)
Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
Comes a Time (Neil Young)

Big thanks to my great friends at Molaskey's, and everyone who helped support my show!
Wendy Swenson, Triana Caldera, TheaDee, Celeste Ewing, Thinkerer Melville, Sassy Nitely, my sickly but still great manager Maali Beck, and Molaskey's staff (and my friends) Cicadetta Stillwater, Stace Silvercloud, and Mia Kitchensink!

No comments: