Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Hotel Chelsea (08.02.22)

Rocking these lovely people on a Tuesday night at Hotel Chelsea. Photo by Kat.



Well hello there.

As I mentioned last month, this blog has become much more the place where I host my daily Random News bullet lists than it is my place for talking about music-related topics and other events in the world and my life. That's fine; no one has complained and I really wouldn't care if they did.

My only question for now is how to treat these reports from my live music shows. Going back to 2008, I've almost always combined my show report with a dose of current events. It seems odd and repetitive to do so when I've already posted these same topics in my Random News post earlier this morning, and each day going back months now.

Should the Random News be a Podcast?
Ugh, Lordy. I've had a number of people tell me that my daily bullet list would be ideal for a short and simple podcast. I actually agree; I could make it work and I am totally capable of doing it. Here's the thing, though: I know I can do the daily Random News bullets easily, which means I will stick with it and continue to do it consistently.

As soon as it turns into an audio or video format, there are a ton of other considerations. I can crank out my bullet list in a flurry of research and writing that takes maybe 15-20 minutes. I can be done with it and have it posted before 8am, when I do my daily workout. Any time after that, my time is consumed by work and other responsibilities. It would be midday before I could publish the podcast, and by that point, of course, most of what I have to say ceases to be news. I'm not a professional journalist, and to justify the additional time to turn it into a podcast, I'd need to start monetizing it, and... it all becomes a pain in the ass at that point.

So the jury is still out on this topic. The thing that makes it difficult is that I know exactly what the format would be, and I know I could do it well. We'll see. For now, the daily Random News bullets continue.

Okay, So How About that Show?
Yeah, let's talk about that. I've continued in my pattern of just doing one show per month, on the first Tuesday at 5PM at Hotel Chelsea in Second Life. Do I sometimes want to do more frequent shows? Yes, occasionally. Am I aware that I do not at all have the time to do so? Also yes.

My pal Max Kleene was there in the slot before me as is typical at this Hotel Chelsea show. He's always good... super enthusiastic, very engaging with his crowd, and very steadily solid on his performances. I got the benefit of a good amount of his crowd hanging out for much of my show. It's always appreciated.

My crowd enjoying a smooth-ass mellow night of live music. Photo by Kat.

Me in my digital form, which is rather like my fleshy form. Photo by Kat.

My real-life view of Hotel Chelsea while doing my show. Photo by Kat.



Everything was cool on my end. Despite not doing too much singing or playing as of late, my voice and guitar both held up just fine. I actually had upwards of three previously-unperformed songs, but as I got rolling, I decided only the Talking Heads tune was ready for prime time. I will say this (evidenced in the pic below)... by the end of the show, I was sweating like I'd just run a marathon. I know it's summer, but c'mon man. That's just crazy.

Playing live music is a physical activity. Here's me looking like a sweaty monster right after my show.



Hotel Chelsea set list...
Save It For Later (English Beat)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
Pretty Pimpin (Kurt Vile)
Don’t Let It Pass (Junip)
Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Sleeper In The Valley (Laura Viers)
You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
Bold as Love (Jimi Hendrix)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
The Arrangement (Joni Mitchell)
*Wild Wild Life (Talking Heads)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big massive thanks to everyone who hung out at the show, with super extra thanks to the following who helped support it!
xDemelzaPoldark Resident, Kat Claxton, ShadowFX1999 Resident, Maximillion Kleene, noowun Wind, Persephone Phoenix, my terrific manager Maali Beck, and Hotel Chelsea manager Shyla the Super Gecko!

No comments: