Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Notes Shack (09.13.09)



Yesterday evening, Kat and I found some rare time to go check out some other artists playing in SL. We caught most of Charles Coleman's show at new venue called Sydney's Live Music, and later on we visited the great-looking venue Heron Island Performance Center to see one of my personal favorite SL musicians, Grace McDunnough. I think seeing Grace always makes me aware that it's not necessary to play as hard and fast as I usually do in my "default rock guy" mode. She tends to play softly and accentuate her lyrical message as much as anything.

So, today at The Notes Shack, I think I took a little inspiration from Grace and did quite a bit of stuff that was more on the mellow, songwriterly side. As is often the case at the Notes Shack, we had a rather small crowd but they were cool people who were digging the tunes, and I ended up having a great time. Also, since it had been awhile since I'd played anything new, I pulled out a Who song from the album Quadrophenia, which is always a welcome band to cover at a classic rock place like the Notes Shack. I also did a Joni Mitchell song that I've barely ever done in SL, since it requires me to drop the security of a guitar pick and use my fingers. All in all, it was a very fun show, as I'd expected it would be.

Listen now! Song sample from today's show: "A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell)

Set list du jour...
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
*Is It In My Head (The Who)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
A Case of You (Joni MItchell)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
Lines On Your Eyes (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates first time I've played this song in SL

Thanks to all who came to today's show, and especially those who helped support it!
Jeorge Carver, Angelina Rhode, Ezra Raymaker, Jordan Hazlitt, JimRockfords Smalls, Triana Caldera, Diana Renoir, Aurelie Chenaux, Geddy McGettigan, Kat Claxton, Tad Morenz, Grace McDunnough, and the awesome Notes Shack host, Krakov Letov!

No comments: