Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Bean Counter (03.05.11)



VIDEO LINK

I think most of my readers know that I spent many years playing before live audiences before taking my show on the virtual road in 2006. Lately, with last weekend's San Diego Jam and today's show at the Bean Counter Coffee House, I've done more playing in front of actual people than I had for a long time! But it's like riding a bike; it comes back to you quickly, and it doesn't hurt that badly when you fall and skin your knee.

Real life rocks.



Anyway, I did a two-hour show today at the Bean Counter here in Redondo Beach, and it went well. I didn't have a big crowd, but with the number of people coming in and out for their no-foam, half-caf dirty chai lattes, I'd say we sprinkled some Zakster love over a nice range of South Bay residents. Also, I broadcast the show on StreamJam -- my 17th show there, by the way -- so we had a few folks checking out the show remotely as well.

Diana, Jess, and Rey watch me from the midwest. Image courtesy of Triana Caldera.



I was feeling good, and decided to extend my set to two hours somewhat spontaneously. I also started with a song from 1926, which is slightly older than my previously oldest song from 1966 or so.

Bean Counter/SJ 17 Set List...
*Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
Thank U (Alanis Morissette)
Go Easy On Me (Zak Claxton)
Pulling Mussels from a Shell (Squeeze)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Help Me (Joni Mitchell)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
Come a Time (Neil Young)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)

Intermission

Change (Tears for Fears)
Tea in the Sahara (The Police)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Nowhere Man (The Beatles)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Any Major Dude (Steely Dan)
The Other Way (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates first-ever performance of this song.

Thanks to everyone who support my show today!

No comments: