Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Wake-Up Calls & Lunacy at Moonacy

No words.



Before I begin the more lighthearted part of this post, my thoughts go out to the people affected by the Sendai quake. Having been through the 6.7 Northridge quake here in LA in 1994, I can't even wrap my head around what an 8.9 would be like. Hopefully the toll to humanity is minimized, with Japan being the world leader in earthquake preparedness.

In an extremely minor way, the quake affected me personally. I live not far from the beach, and at 6:48am, not long after I rolled out of bed to start my work day, the phone rang. It was my local reverse-911 system (did you even know there was such a thing?), letting me know that a tsunami was headed for us. But the recorded voice was calm, and said there were no plans of evacuation. It's good to know we're prepared for such things in any case. Still, I flipped on some local news to see if I could get a sense as to whether or not this would screw up my otherwise mellow day, and it seemed that it was mostly a precautionary measure. The waves had passed Hawaii at 3:30am, and were scheduled to hit my area at about 8:30.

Weird start to the day.



From my home, a walk of about three blocks has you looking directly down the hill toward the Redondo beach harbor, so I called up my darling Kat and then strolled over to her place. We walked together up the street, and looked down a few minutes later. Indeed, by staring intently, I could see the small effects of the tsunami hitting here on the West Coast. And by "small", I mean "barely discernible from any other day of decent surf". A Coast Guard boat about a mile out bobbed a few times as the first waves passed beneath it, but all in all, while I'm glad we seemed prepared for the worst, nothing major seemed to happen anywhere in Southern California as a result of the tsunami. The possibility of more waves coming in still exists, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be worried about around here.

Panic level: zero.



Moonacy Writers Session (03.10.11)
Previous to all the natural disasters and such, I performed last night at the Moonacy Writers Sessions, which is a series of Thursday-night show of original music put on by Moondoggirl Moomintoog in conjunction with IndieSpectrum Radio's Fox Reinsch. The show (which also included several of my musician pals like Matthew Perrault and Juel Resistance) turned out to be supremely fun, and between the folks who were physically there in SL and those listening in on the Internet radio stream, over 85 people heard me play some live Zak Tunes for a half hour.

Spooky! Me like.



Rocking original music in an abandoned church. That's a good Thursday night right there.



Moonacy Set List...

Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
The Other Way (Zak Claxton)
Shine (Zak Claxton)

My view from the stage. Photos courtesy of Kat.



Big thanks to all who supported my show last night at Moonacy!
Diana Renoir, Misti Raleigh, Alexis Fairlady, Indy Darkrose, Vaughan Michalak, Beth Odets, Kayy Moonshadow, Leondra Larsson, Aurelie Chenaux, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, hosts Moondoggirl Moomintoog and Fox Reinsch, and my management team of Rusty Seisenbacher and Maali Beck!

No comments: