Monday, July 7, 2008

End of the marathon: Crystal Sands (07.07.08)

Ahhhh, I survived my "four shows in three days" run, and all in all, I think it went very well. I know I had fun! Fortunately, my audience seems to have fun when I'm doing so as well.

Tonight was my usual Monday show at Crystal Sands, but my pre-show warmup routine got a wee bit out of kilter. First, I managed to forget/repress the memory that a string on my D-18V popped the night before. So, 15 minutes before the show, I had this "OH SHIT!" moment and ran across to the guitar, pulled it out, and then went to go get my extra set of Martin SP strings. Strings? Strings? Where are you, strings? Minutes ticked by while I rifled through my music gear, looking for the set, and thankfully finding them. Five minutes before the show, I was frantically putting the new string on the guitar (yes, the G string, you perverts) while sending out notices and talking to people in the crowd. Multitasking at its finest, and one of those rare times that I really could have used my own manager there! Speaking of which, Crystal Sands owner Sandi Benelli was traveling, so the lovely Suka Nishi came over from Cuddlers Cove to handle hosting duties, and was great as always.

In any case, it all came together seconds before Elvis Duffy left the stage, and I jumped up to do my thing. No warmup, no set list, no problem. I actually made it fun, and just pulled my Big List of Tunes out and had "Random Night", where I pulled out whatever came next... making sure that I threw in some Zak Claxton tunes in between the randomness. I may be random, but I ain't stupid. :D

Here's the set list:

The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Losing My Religion (REM)
Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Just Like Starting Over (John Lennon)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Carey (Joni Mitchell)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Alabama (Neil Young)
Tribute (Tenacious D)
What I Got (Sublime)

Thanks to the following folks who supported my show:
TenneseeJed Freiman, Patti Boyd, Samantha Poindexter, Distilled1 Rush, Kat Claxton, Quinton Whitman, Alexandri Ashbourne, Doug Drakes, Elvis Duffy, Aurelie Chenaux, Robert69 Little, Alex Parsons, Leyah Renegade, Jaleia Collins, PukaD Dingo, tonight's hostess with the mostess, Suka Nishi, and Sandi Benelli.

No comments: