Friday, April 23, 2010

Free Bird Music & Love Lounge (04.22.10)



Photos courtesy of Kat Claxton.

As you might have heard (since I blabbed about it a lot), I did a special show yesterday for Earth Day 2010. It was also the first time I've played at the very cool little venue owned by a gal named Bowie Zeplin (hee hee), a backyard stage called Free Bird Music & Love Lounge.

I met Bowie only a few weeks ago. She stopped in and saw me at a show, and I liked her vibe. I've always been one of those people who, for good and bad, get a very fast perception of what other people are all about. Sometimes I'm wrong (horribly so in a few cases) but I'm usually right. I first noticed Bowie because of her name, which was pretty complementary toward the type of music which I've found influential. And then, she fit right into the banter of my fun crowd, which was cool. She popped up at a couple more shows, and mentioned at one point that she had a music venue of her own. I came by and checked it out and liked it quite a lot, and told her I'd be happy to play there sometime. As it turned out, she was planning an Earth Day event, and it seemed like a good time for me to get on her stage.

When I arrived, I was greeted by a somewhat unusual sight of the entire crowd engaged in a group hug. It was very cute.



Then it was time for my set. I'd put together a show that was at least somewhat themed for the Earth Day event, and apart from a few blunders (boy, it's been awhile since I did "The Rain Song", heh heh), it went really well. A noteworthy mention goes out to the gent who played directly after me, Voodoo Shilton. The guy is obviously a terrific guitarist, and I look forward to seeing him again sometime soon.

Free Bird Earth Day Set List...
Pigs on the Wing Part 1 (Pink Floyd)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
*Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
After the Gold Rush (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Starman (David Bowie)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Thank You (Led Zeppelin)
The Sands of Redondo (Zak Claxton)
The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to everyone at Free Bird's Earth Day celebration! It was huge fun... thanks for supporting my show!
Gimli Garzo, Diana Renoir, Roisin Hotaling, Voodoo Shilton, Gubatah Tigerpaw, Kat Claxton, Kiki Mohindi, Omega Marenwolf, Perky Button, Xerxes Ninetails, Desiderata Dembo, and the lovely hostess of the evening, Bowie Zeplin!

1 comment:

Bowie Zeplin said...

http://bowiezeplin.blogspot.com/2010/04/earth-day-free-bird.html

Love you Zak!