Sunday, April 4, 2010

Notes Shack (04.04.10)



I usually don't realize how much I miss playing live music until I take a little break from it. I guess that's pretty typical of many things in life you can take for granted until they're not there. In Neil Young's biography Shakey, Neil describes the reasoning behind his interest in a multitude of activities, from model train building through filmmaking through motorcycle riding and much more. He says that all of those other things and like breathing out, while music is inhaling. He needs those other things to be able to step away from his music momentarily, in order to be freshly inspired when he invariably comes back to it.

Well, I didn't take much of a break. My last show in SL (also at the Notes Shack) was only a few weeks ago, and since then I've also done two of my live video programs, the Zak Claxton Happy Fun Show. But still, when you're on a roll playing a few times a week, a three week break feels like a big deal. And I'm glad I did it; during that time period, I also finished lyrics and did a demo for a new song that I ended up playing for the first time in SL today.

We had a fun crowd on this Easter Sunday, and the tunes were coming out good. It was the SL premiere of my new tune "Shine" which, as it did at yesterday's ZCHFS, went over very well. This show was also the first use of our new kiosk, which allows for song purchases in addition to tipping, and I was very happy to se a couple of people bought songs while I played. Good times. By the way, while I was writing this post, we felt the strong effects of the 7.2 Baja California earthquake. I'm taking that as a good sign.

Today's set list at the Notes Shack...
Save It For Later (English Beat)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
*Shine (Zak Claxton)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
†My Heart (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
*When You Dance I Can Really Love (Neil Young)

*Indicates first time I have performed this song in SL
†Most recent performance of "My Heart": July 6, 2008

Big thanks to everyone who came out to the Notes Shack today and made it fun. Thanks for supporting my show!
Bowie Zeplin, Triana Caldera, Basil Brooks, Horizon Darkstone, Larkworthy Antfarm, Jordan Hazlitt, ZeroOne Paz, Kat Claxton, and the most excellent host Krakov Letov!

No comments: