Monday, June 25, 2012

Triana's Music Trivia 7th Anniversary (06.24.12)



I really hadn't intended on doing two shows on Sunday June 24. My great friend Triana Caldera, who has become an equally good pal in real life as she has been in Second Life for many years, had booked me months ago to perform at the seventh anniversary of her Triana's Music Trivia (SL's longest-running trivia game), which I wouldn't miss for the world. And then I was nicely asked to play at a Relay for Life event which ended up being on the same day. Meh.

A wee bit of background: as I've written about many times before, performing at TMT is always a treat for me. I can be as insanely silly as I want around this crazy collection of great friends who Kat and I see every Sunday evening at Triana's trivia game. That means I can really be experimental and play songs that I probably wouldn't do at regular shows. It also means that I have a good excuse to play special songs that I've never done before, either as some kind of themed show, or songs that have some significance to Triana and the other folks we hang out with there. It's also at my TMT shows that I can convince Kat to participate in the music (which she generally wouldn't be comfortable doing in front of strangers)... she joined me for backing vocals on a Lou Reed tune I'd never done until last night.

As usual when we have special events there, the trivia game was moved forward an hour to 6PM so I could perform during the 7PM slot. As trivia wrapped up, I was already in the upstairs club area getting set up. Then we started the show. Since I'd just done a full hour of my own music, I decided to blow off my original songs for the most part and play cover stuff that would be fun for everyone.

Triana's Music Trivia 7th Anniversary Set List...
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Triana (Zak Claxton)
*Walk on the Wild Side (Lou Reed)
†Wrong Way (Sublime)
*Beyond the Blue (Martina McBride)
†Them Bones (Alice in Chains)
†The Rainbow Connection (Kermit the Frog)
†Take It On The Run (REO Speedwagon)
She's Leaving Home (Beatles)
†On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
†A Case of You (Joni Mitchell)
She's Always a Woman (Billy Joel)
Tribute (Tenacious D)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.
†These songs are extreme rarities in my set. In several cases, it's been over four years since I've performed them live, and at least three of them I've only done once previously.


Huge thanks to all of our great friends at TMT. We love you! Thanks to those who helped support the show...
Alchemy Epstein, Nakira Tennen, Rey Tardis, Jordan Hazlitt, TheaDee, Diana Renoir, MrNoCal Honey, Samantha Poindexter, Kat Claxton, Xerxes Ninetails, and most of all to the lovely lady who's brought fun to our Sunday for years and years... Triana Caldera!

No comments: